Dundee 2-1 St Johnstone- Match Report

Dundee see off SaintsDundee returned to winning ways in the Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership as they defeated St Johnstone 2-1 in a hard-fought Tayside derby at Dens Park.Paul Hartley's side triumphed thanks to goals in the first half from James McPake and Kane Hemmings

Steven MacLean gave St Johnstone hope that did not come to fruition with a opportunist strike early in the second half.Dundee could have been out of sight by the break with the amount of chances they created, but in the end they needed to stand firm against Tommy Wright's men, who were left still searching for their first win of the new season.It was the hosts who created the first clear-cut chance after three minutes.Hemmings sent Paul McGowan free down the right and his cross was perfect for Greg Stewart.Stewart looked a good bet to score but he hit his volley down into the ground so St Johnstone goalkeeper Alan Mannus gathered comfortably.Michael O'Halloran looked in the mood for the Perth club early on but it was the home team who took the lead after 16 minutes.Nicky Low's corner was met by McPake and the big defender hooked his first-time left-footed volley high into the net past Mannus for his second goal in as many games, having equalised in injury-time against Dundee United earlier in the week.Dundee almost increased their lead after 21 minutes

Nick Ross did well to win possession 30 yards from goal and he quickly fed the ball to Low.Former Aberdeen man Low looked up and let fly, only to see his shot just clear Mannus' crossbar.Then, after 27 minutes, Dundee had goalkeeper Scott Bain to thank for keeping them ahead with a superb save.Liam Craig dinked a ball over the top of the home defence for Graham Cummins whose first-time lob looked net-bound, but Bain sprang full length to fingertip his attempt over the bar for a corner.And soon after, Dundee broke to the other end to go further ahead.Chris Millar's mis-placed pass was seized upon by Low who raced down the left and crossed for Hemmings.The former Barnsley striker still had work to do and he did brilliantly to send a downward header back across Mannus and into the corner.St Johnstone knew they needed the next goal to have any chance of salvaging anything from the game, and they struck after 52 minutes.O'Halloran went on one of his mazy runs before crossing into the middle where MacLean was lurking.The cross took a deflection and spun up in the air for MacLean to stab home a finish from inside the six-yard box.Dundee suffered a blow when McPake went off injured after 63 minutes as Saints pushed to get back on level terms.The hosts could have removed any doubt after 71 minutes when Hemmings sent Ross clean through, but he shot straight at Mannus.Ross went within inches of killing the contest five minutes later but could not connect with the goal gaping.Dundee survived a few nervy moments late on before seeing out their victory

Source : PA

Source: PA