Dundee 0-2 St Johnstone- Match Report

No slips from SaintsSt Johnstone boosted their European hopes with a well-deserved 2-0 win over Tayside rivals Dundee at Dens Park.Tommy Wright's side moved above Dundee United into fourth place thanks to second-half goals from Danny Swanson and David Wotherspoon.The home side's misery was complete when they had striker Greg Stewart dismissed on the hour.Dundee were bidding to bounce back from their midweek 2-1 defeat at the hands of Celtic in an attempt to put pressure on the visitors, who were four points above them in the table.The game started slowly but came to life in the 10th minute when Swanson went on a solo run before curling a shot towards goal which Dundee goalkeeper Scott Bain was relieved to see go over the crossbar.Saints took heart from this and midway through the first half Thomas Scobbie sent over a tempting cross which Brian Graham did his best to get on the end of at the far post - but he could not make the all-important connection.The home team were struggling to get going but they came close in the 31st minute.Paul McGowan's snapshot from outside the box was deflected by Scobbie and as the ball spun up in the air, visiting keeper Alan Mannus fisted it over to safety at the expense of a corner.Soon after that Paul McGinn released Greg Stewart down the right and his cross into the middle was decent but David Clarkson could not apply the finishing touch at the far post.As half-time approached, Dundee nearly took the lead when McGinn's cross was knocked towards goal by Paul Heffernan from point-blank range - only for Scobbie to clear his effort off the line and deny the hosts a breakthrough.On the stroke of half-time, Jim McAlister had a chance for Dundee but his header from McGinn's cross was well held by Mannus.St Johnstone impressed at the start of the second half - and they took a deserved lead in the 54th minute.Swanson jinked his way inside from the left and curled a low shot towards goal which beat Bain at his far post, with Steven McLean doing his best to put off the home keeper.Then Dundee shot themselves in the foot as Stewart's participation in the match ended.The striker surged towards goal but was adjudged to have dived by referee Craig Thomson as Frazer Wright came out to check him on the edge of the penalty area.Thomson had no hesitation in showing the PFA Player of the Year contender a second yellow card which left the hosts with a mountain to climb.The visitors now had a spring in their step and midway through the second half they doubled their advantage.This time Wotherspoon cut inside and on his left foot fired a fine shot past Bain via the post, with the aid of a slight deflection off Iain Davidson, to put the Perth men in complete control.From then on Saints were in command and there was no way back for Dundee, who fell below their recent high standards

Source : PA

Source: PA